The sun had set and the sky was darkening westward. I sat in the gloaming, fishing pole in hand, waiting. The Hudson River flowed smoothly by, as a torrent of disconnected thoughts and ideas churned in my head.
Finally, a tug.
It did not come from end of my line, which trailed off in the current. It came from the depths of my pocket. A notification from WordPress appeared on the glowing screen, inviting me to touch the icon.
“I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Blog award, please see my post for details”, read the message from QueridaJ, author of intotheindigo.
“What is a Liebster Blog award?” I asked. The other anglers who were nearby gave no sign of hearing my query as they attended to their own lines. Either that, or they were politely ignoring me.
I went to QueridaJ’s blog and found the answer to my question which is copied and pasted below.
Here are the rules for this award !!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you, and provide a link to their blog
- Answer the 11 questions given to you
- Nominate 11 other bloggers
- Ask your nominees 11 questions
- Notify your nominees once you have uploaded your post
Thank you QueridaJ, I am honored by your nomination for this award. Thank you for placing me among the the other incredibly talented bloggers you nominated. A few I know. The rest, I’m looking forward to reading. And, thank you for the tug I needed to organize my thoughts and get me ‘back in the saddle again’ (Not a cowboy, an Aerosmith fan from way back).
Let the answers begin!
If you could travel to a destination you have never been before, what would it be? The world is a beautiful place. I would love to visit so many places that picking one is like choosing which of your children you love the most (luckily, I have only one, so that choice is easy for me). Japan would be the place I would like to visit with my wife, but if the opportunity arose, I would choose to visit the International Space Station so I could see the entire world and the immensity of the universe in which we live.
What is one dish you love to eat but can’t be bothered to cook? I will employ a bit of creative license in my answer to this question. Ice cream is my answer! It is a dish best served cold, though it is sometimes deep fried and therefor can be considered cooked. My current favorite is Coffee Break made by King Brothers Dairy in Schuylerville NY (it’s right around the corner from me!).
What is your favourite/often used phrase? There are many things that I say often, not a few of which are unsuitable to share here. I lift and twist quotes from Shakespeare. The immortal words of Popeye the Sailor Man, “I am what I am, and that’s all I am” (am pronounced yam) come to mind often. “Resistance is futile” from the Borg and “It rubs the lotion on it’s skin” from Silence of the Lambs, roll off the tongue when timing and opportunity converge (the latter always evokes a strong response from my wife so it’s fun to say…sometimes…when I’m feeling a little reckless). “Are ya ready kids?”, by Patchy of SpongeBob Squarepants. But, I will answer the question with the classic couplet… Thank you, and, You’ re welcome.
Who was your favourite teacher and why? This is a real poser. Do I choose one of the many teachers I had throughout my education? How can I ignore the contributions of my parents, my aunts and uncles? Or my wife of 30 years, Rose, who I call Bud? What about friends and colleagues who taught me skills, how to relate to others, how to solve problems? What about all of the people who’s blog posts I’ve read and learned different perspectives from, different ways to write poetry from, who with their kind words and encouragement gave me the confidence to express myself in ways I hadn’t known I was able to before I joined this community? I cannot answer this question with a definitive statement. My answer is in my questions.
Share a scenic photo/landscape artwork (one you have taken/created or one you have seen on the net) that made you feel happy, thoughtful or amazed. I’m amazed by nature in all its forms. I’m able to think more clearly when I’m in it. I often find the simple scene more amazing than majestic landscapes. In that spirit, I will share the following photo that I took of Venus at sunset. It is simple in composition and broad in scope.
I would like to nominate the following for the Liebster Blog Award…
- Vin de Vie Wine of Life
- ebony and crows
- foxesandpoems A WOMAN IS A POEM
- choices in error
- Dale, A Dalectable Life
- Wyatt Robson
- Mitchel David Ring; The Light is On
- Jay Bleu, The Fragrance Writer
- Jenae.K wnby.wordpress.com/
- mbrazfieldm, words less spoken
- Harley Reborn
…and ask the following questions.
- What is your favorite Star Trek episode? All spin offs, generations and films count.
- What line from a song makes you say, “I wish I had written that!”, every time you hear it?
- If words could only be written a finite number of times, would you write them not knowing if it they could be written again?
- If you could walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, who’s shoes and why? (any person, any time, any reason)
- If you find yourself standing at the intersection of ‘Right’ and ‘Legal’, which path would you choose?
- Dogs… or cats?
- Is is okay to benefit from knowledge, technology or skills that were gained by morally questionable means?
- How much better, or worse, is your singing voice than you believe it is?
- Where do you think all the lost socks went?
- “I think, therefor, I am”. I feel, therefor, I _______?
- You have a magic wand, you waved it. What happened?
Please take your time if you choose to participate. I know that some people don’t take part in these things, so I won’t take offense if you don’t. I would have nominated more people if the rules allowed.